View Single Post
Old
01-02-2008, 07:16 AM
Goalie_Gal

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftindust View Post

If a D-man is coming from behind his own net, look at where he's gonna go, and let him know what's there. If no one's there, say "Wheel, Wheeeelll!" loudly and that tells him to skate the puck out. Call for a reverse if he's gotta play the puck the other way. If you want him to clear it, tell him to clear it.
Dumb question... but I assume you mean if he's just skating past the back of the net. Not if he's setting up back there to make a pass, because wouldn't he be looking out and seeing what was going on in that case?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post

Communication doesn't have to be verbal either. When your team is on a powerplay, and there is only a few seconds left, its helpful to bang your stick on the ice, one beat for each second, to tell your defensemen there is a person coming out of the box, and to drop back a little. I'm no expert, but hopefully this helps you out a bit. Good luck with your team.
Good point. One thing I've learned just from observation is how important body language is too, after goals especially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionQuest
Tip #2, you have to find your own style. Im a friggin chatterbox in net, but that has a lot to do with the fact that Ive skated out a ton in my hockey career too, so I have a good grasp of both sides of life and feel very confident in my calls and decision making.
I've never played out, so that probably has a lot to do with my confidence in pointing stuff out. (And no, I have no desire whatsoever to skate out! I guess if it would really make a difference in my game I might try it at some point in the future. But it's really goal or nothing for me.) Thanks for the link, too. I've registered and am just waiting for approval.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan7
I also yell "you" or "me" when there is a dump-in, referring who is going to get the puck.
This is something I really need to work on- figuring out when I should get it and when I should leave it. Usually I leave it unless it's really obvious that I can get it without a problem and it would really help my D out.

Goalie_Gal is offline   Reply With Quote