View Single Post
Old
04-08-2004, 02:01 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ
Don't be kidding yourself Guardian, Souray coughed up the puck on numerous occasions last night. The only positive I get from last night's game is, as good as the Bruins looked or as good as we made them look, whichever way you prefer, they only managed to score one even strength goal. If we keep out of the penalty box, we should do fairly well against these guys. Believe it or not, Boston's PP had been doing slightly worse since they acquired Gonchar. They're not likely going to get 2 goals on the PP every night. Last night was their night.
At any rate, I'm not disappointed with Souray's game. We didn't hear much from Thornton or Murray even strength. Souray always makes some mistakes, but he plays a lot of minutes too. (By comparison, Blake and Jovo made some nice coughs last night too, but partly that comes with the territory of playing big minutes against top opponents). Souray'd still be my top choice for any defensive assignment, at all times throughout last night's game and through the future, and he got something like 8 shots on goal on the PP. So on that basis, Souray was okay.

Markov and Quintal were our weakest links last night. Brisebois seemed surprisingly solid. Rivet never seemed to quite get in a groove... it's like he *wanted* to start playing physical sometimes, but never quite got it established. Bouillon pretty much played his typical game too. But it's too easy to look at them like individuals that way... collectively and stylistically, the Habs' whole approach to their defensive play last night stunk. It's the collective approach, the passive collapsing style that the team as a whole employs that has to change more than anything about the individuals.