View Single Post
Old
04-08-2004, 03:38 PM
LuckyLUC20

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator
okay, i watched most of the game and taped it, so maybe i'll watch it again. here are my impressions: (keeping in mind that this is just one game watched on tv, so obviously they're not meant to be comprehensive)
connor james was unimpressive. he had the helper on that empty net, he had one good screen when skinner scored, and he had a good one-timer on one of the power players, but aside from those plays, i found it hard to believe that he's the second-leading scorer (if i heard correctly). he certainly has some great wheels, but he really was peripheral, didn't create any opportunities, did not seem particularly apt at distributing the puck to his teammates, and did not challenge the defense much at all. his play in his own end was marginal at best, and on umd's last power play goal james was cherrypicking out by the other blue line while his team gave up a three-on-one. maybe just a bad game or maybe umd keyed on him well, but his performance today was underwhelming.

san jose's prospect matt carle (defense) is very good. moves the puck well, joins the rush, creates opportunities, seems to see the ice very well, and generally all-around solid. good player.

junior lessard was good, he put the puck in the net, but i wouldn't say that he was the best player out there. he seemed a bit one-dimensional, more of a sniper than anything else. when he wasn't scoring, i didn't notice him. however, if i watch the game again, i will pay particular attention to him and try to put together a more comprehensive report on him.

i think the best player in the game was FULGHUM, lw for denver. this guy is awesome, and i don't think he's drafted. i would be really happy if we got him. not big (5'11") but effective in every situation, always involved in the play at both ends. caldwell's breakaway goal was all fulghum - he forced a turnover in his own zone, and then outskated and outfought two umd players on the way down the ice before getting the puck to caldwell who was all alone and just had to finish.

caldwell is good as well, nyi prospect. he skates well, has some moves, and is the captain, but appartently injury-prone.
Great analysis, navigator.

I'd also add that Berkhoel really kept the Pioneers in the game when they fell behind early. He made some big saves to get the team going. UMD was all over Denver for a large part of the game. Then Denver came on strong in the end with a great comeback.