Thread: J. P. Dumont
View Single Post
Old
01-03-2008, 09:09 AM
Blueshirt Brawler

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
Plus its not like these players are going to turn into star players, and we have a deep prospect pool. Dumont would be a solid 3rd liner and an upgrade to any of those three players.
The difference is this team is not the 1994 team. We are 0-4-1 against the West and 1-3 vs. Ottawa this season. That doesn't bode well. We are not playing well against the best competition that the league has to offer.

I wasn't happy with trading Doug Weight for Esa Tikkanen in 1993 or Tony Amonte for Matteau and Noonan in 1994 but in retrospect you cannot complain about those trades because we ended up winning the Cup in '94 but trades like that led to the Rangers to the barren years of 1997-2004. Don't be short sighted and forget that we are two years removed from the longest stretch of postseason-less hockey in franchise history.

I don't think the Rangers will panic. I think if there is someone that they can add who will improve the team they will do so but trading Prucha, Cally or Dawes right now makes no sense. This team is offensively challenged now, what will happen when Jagr, Straka and Shanny are gone? Who is going to step up and move onto the first two lines if we don't have these young guys around? I think trading for a guy like Dumont who is going to be a UFA after the season anyway makes no sense right now.

Blueshirt Brawler is offline   Reply With Quote