View Single Post
Old
01-05-2008, 09:22 PM
BigE

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Ranger View Post
Agreed that you won't find another Sean Avery...however

Rozsival isn't a number 4 or 5 defenseman, and he's isn't a puck moving defensemen. Playing with Jagr is hardly worth noting anymore, since he isn't the offensive threat as of late, and he's still on pace to put up 50 points, Jagr or not, this guy will put up big points now and in the future without Jagr.
The point is this: the minutes he is getting with the top even strength and power play units are reflected on his stat sheet.

He's playing on the Rangers' top pair because we simply have no one better on the blueline at the moment. However, this is a situation that is rapidly changing. You could make the argument that he has been surpassed by Tyutin and Girardi. Within a year, perhaps a little longer, Staal will exceed him as well.

Furthermore, place a better, more offensively-gifted player in Rozsival's place and you'd see significantly higher numbers than that which he is showing.

This speaks to the fact that he's just not that good...

He's a 4th to 5th defenseman ideally suited for the third pairing. Those type of minutes, against that type of opponent, will allow him to minimize his defensive mishaps while also adding an offensive element from the back line.

I'm curious: on what grounds does Rozsival qualify as anything other than a puck-moving defenseman? To classify a player as a puck-mover does not necessitate his ability to be top notch.

No (and I repeat myself) he's an average, third pairing puck-mover: capable of making sufficient outlet passes or taking the puck up on his own. However, he lacks the speed, puck handling ability, and vision to become an elite puck mover.

Similarly, he lacks the gap control, corner play, and crease clearing ability to consider him any kind of defensive defenseman.

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote