View Single Post
Old
01-06-2008, 11:52 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Ferguson has been a GM for only 3 seasons. Too early to know how he has done.

Lombardi, during his tenure as Sharks GM, drafted Patrick Marleau, Brad Stuart, Scott Hannan, Marco Sturm and Marcel Goc in the first round along with Evgeni Nabokov, Jonathan Cheechoo, Vesa Toskala, Mark Smith, Ryane Clowe and Christian Ehrhoff in the later rounds. Much better than Sather.

Lowe has drafted Hemsky, Stoll, Cogliano and Gagner, not a great record but I wouldn't mind any of those forwards on the current Rangers roster.

Feaster has won a Cup since Sather took over the Rangers but has probably done a worse job at the draft table.

Armstrong is a bust to date, having only drafted Niskanen.

McLean drafted Klesla, Leclaire, Nash (traded up to get him), Joakin Lindstrom (early but I like what I've seen so far), Zherdev, Fritsche and Brule. Far better than Sather.

Keenan is a head case but a great short term coach. I think that while at Florida he drafted Olesz, Booth but he had a very short tenure, unlike Sather.

Sather might not be the worst but even by who you offer up, in my opinion they have for the most part done better than Sather and let's not forget that Sather had deep pockets while here. That is how he got Jagr. Picture this team without Jagr and it's downright scary.
Maclean's drafting record should be stricken because he had high pick after high pick because he was never able to ice a good team. Feaster inherited a team that went on to win a cup, since the cup his teams have been progressively worse. Lombardi has been a total bust so far in LA leading one to believe that his drafting success in San Jose was due more to a strong scouting staff that was already in place. Looking at draft results is not the best way to look at how good a gm is. When Lowe took over the Oilers they were a playoff team and now they are a luaghing stock of the league. When Sather took over the Rangers they were a laughing stock and now they are legitimatly good. I understand you are frustrated this team is not in a class of its own in the league, but Sather has been far from the worst gm.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote