View Single Post
Old
04-10-2004, 05:45 PM
Kubera55

vCash: 500
I sympathize with your sentiments Edge, though I might phrase it a little differently. I think fans will wander off during a youth oriented rebuild . . . but if it's done correctly, they will come back in droves.

Home grown Rangers were almost always the most popular (even when undeserving) and the idea of a young team centered around Ranger kids has to have serious Madison Avenue appeal. (No doubt, this was part of Sather's sales pitch to the Dolan's during the fire-sale.)

Still, it's not going to be a clean break with the past. Hell, of all the guys 'mailing it in' down the stretch, was their a bigger malcontent than Holik? And even if you really want to move him, how on earth can Sather do it without eating 50% of his contract and taking peanuts in return?

So, taking it as a given that Sather is going to have to compromise a bit as he wends his way through the rebuild, I see no reason not to be patient with some of the guys who played to crappily this year. Sather can always trade them away at the deadline in a firesale aftershock if they continue to dissapoint . . . it's not like Poti or Dunham's draft value is likely to sink much lower (for example.)

PS - Any thoughts on Jonasen for the other thread Edge? Just curious, since you seem to have a lot of experience with the WHL . . . thanks