View Single Post
01-11-2008, 08:06 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Danrozen View Post
As mentioned I get to the rink after work, most times I try to "push it" in intervals. But as the on-ice sessions with the team are once every other day I am afraid I might overdo it a bit. Today the team got an ice session and I plan to head down before the actual pratice and work some more on acceleration. But cardio in general, righto. Will note that.
Don't note that unless you know what cardio means. No longer do players go on long runs to train for hockey. A new idea has developed involving energy systems. I suggest you look this up. What it boils down to is you must train the right systems for use in a contest. Since your body will draw from all three sources for energy, all should be trained but IMO if you're a player looking to have the most powerful, explosive, and sustained shift of 45 seconds you better train for that duration specifically.

You will want to focus your efforts on Anaerobic (ATP/CP as energy) anywhere from 1-45 seconds, Anaerobic-Lactate 45-120 seconds (Muscle glycogen as energy), and finally Aerobic which is any exercise 2 minutes plus that uses oxygen basically.

Use interval training that mimics what goes on in a hockey game. Sprint all out for 45-60 seconds, and then rest 3x that amount to mirror the time for a shift and then time for rest on the bench waiting for your next shift. Use plyometrics to develop explosive leg strength and capacity. You'll find your stride becomes much, much stronger and crisper with this jump training.

This video has been such a tremendous help for me:

And most importantly: Be smart about it! Don't overtrain although the urge will be there.

DB Insider
Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote