Old
01-13-2008, 02:29 AM
Bob Probert Owns You
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bob Probert Owns You
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick View Post
In recent years, Lawson has been a house of horrors of sort for visiting teams, but Michigan seems to be unfazed by the Lawson Lunatics. In fact, they were quite subtle tonight...well maybe except early in the game.

WMU had their chances, but just couldn't sustain their attack. Michigan's speed really caused the Broncos all sorts of problems. The WMU defense also had trouble keeping the puck in the offense zone. I counted at least three times in the game where they turned over the puck.

The one thing that has impressed me about the Wolverines this season (and it was also evident in this game) that many people aren't talking much about, is their vastly improved defensive play, specifically their penalty killing. Yes, Sauer has been great but I think this is more of the team as a whole being more accountable and conscientious about their defensive zone coverage. It's not just about keeping the goals against down either. It's about making life miserable for opposing teams in their (UM's) own end of the rink and protecting it at all costs.

Having said of all this, the crucial tests will come in the next few weeks. They face Notre Dame next week, MSU after that, then NMU and the biggest test of all is the Feb.8/9 showdown at Miami. I've seen Miami a couple of time already this season and if there is one team coming up that I think can give the Wolverines all kinds of problems, it's Miami. Everyone talks about Ryan Jones and Nathan Davis, but the RedHawks are getting contributions from everybody...and they're getting it done even without Davis in the lineup.

The most recent Miami game that I've seen was Friday's game versus UNO. If Miami has one achilles heel, it might be the fact that they're a heavily penalized team. They're a great PK team but if Miami has the kind of parade to the sin bin against Michigan in a few weeks that they had against UNO on Friday night, Michigan could burn them.
I agree with you. This upcoming stretch is treacherous. I am hoping Michigan comes out above .500, at the very least. I am really, really looking forward to the MSU and Miami games... GO BLUE!!

Bob Probert Owns You is offline   Reply With Quote