View Single Post
Old
01-15-2008, 07:02 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
What other UFA centers were available for less money besides Nylander?

Devils fans are arguing a point as if it exists in a vacuum. The Rangers needed a player who filled a certain role. Gomez was a player available who filled that role. He was paid the market rate for an unrestricted free agent first line center, a job he now anchors admirably to the delight of Ranger fans. So, if the team is happy, and the player is happy, and the fans are happy, what point is being argued anyway?

And what in the hell does an a 24 year old player who has never been an UFA have to do with the Rangers or Scott Gomez?
Because Gomez's and Drury's contracts will be a hindrance down the road. Just because there's a need doesn't mean you give out a ridiculous contract to a player like Gomez. Maybe Rangers fans have trouble with the terms fiscal responsibility and financial restraint. Lundqvist, Gomez, and Drury will eat up over 20M by next season. That trio doesn't add up to the ability level of Richards, Lecavalier, and St. Louis, yet they cost more. Good luck finding that stud defensemen when 40% of your cap is tied up in three players (long-term!).

The Rangers could have pursued a center via trade (you had the prospects/young roster players to do it), or simply signed one of Gomez or Drury. Do not excuse Sather's frivolousnesses.

Last edited by Feed Me A Stray Cat: 01-16-2008 at 01:49 PM.
Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote