View Single Post
Old
01-16-2008, 10:27 AM
HBK27

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR425 View Post
Before you all go nuts, this is a question. Would it be in our best interest to move Hank and some others at the deadline and free up big bucks. We are not a Cup contender now as constructed, and have no cap room. Say we can move Hank to Boston for Kessel, Stuart, Hamil, Rask and a #1. Stuart gives us a physical dman, and Kessel and Hamil some O, Rask another Goaltending prospect. Then we look to move Jagr, Shanny, Straka, Rosie, Leak and Mara. We could maybe send Rosie to Chicago for Skille, then Shanny to San Jose for Couture. Jagr to St.Louis for Burglund and Hjalmarsson. Just a thought but I think it has to be considered. Don't know who would want these players even, but would like to know what you think. The goal is to
build a team that will be a cup contender for a decade or more. Just think Hank will cost so much against the cap, and I believe Montoya is the real deal also. Since he is cheaper for a few years we should give it a shot.
I don’t think there’s a shot in hell the Rangers move Lundqvist, but I am a bit intrigued by what they could possibly get back in return. Your example on what Boston might offer seems like a massive overpayment from the B’s though.

I just don’t think there would by much of a trade market out there for Lundqvist. Yes, he’s one of the top 5 goalies in the league (despite recent struggles), but I don’t think they’d find many trade partners.

For starters, they’d have to give up a lot. Secondly, they know he has a big payday coming and is a pending RFA that can’t be taken to arbitration – meaning if he isn’t signed prior to the trade, there’s a chance another team could make a Vanek-like offer on him. Plus, his recent struggles may be some cause for concern for some GM’s. Not to mention a decent goaltender like Bryzgalof couldn’t fetch anything (yes, he’s nowhere near the class of Lundqvist, but still it shows how bad the market is that nobody even offered up a 3rd or 4th rounder for him).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Come on. Lundqvist is a far superior goalie to Tim Thomas. And much younger. Yeah, I think Boston takes that "downgrade".
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Yep, a two time Vezina finalist and two time 30 goal winner is no longer better or more valuable than Tim Thomas. Boston doesn't need Lundqvist because of the prospect of a healthy Manny Fernandez. NOW I've heard it all.
Just because Lundqvist is the superior goalie doesn’t mean the B’s would have any interest in trading for him. They’d have to give up way to much in prospects & picks to make the deal & they’d still have a lot of money tied up in Fernandez & Thomas (though I guess one could go the other way). Given the way Lundqvist has struggled the past month or two & how Thomas is playing much better than expected, it doesn’t look like it would be that much of an upgrade THIS SEASON the way things have been going. Plus, I’m sure the B’s aren’t too worried about the future of their goaltending with Rask in the pipeline – they’re probably hoping Thomas can keep his play up or Fernandez is healthy & effective next season to bridge the gap until Rask is ready. Thus, I really doubt the B’s have any interest in making a deal for Lundqvist.

HBK27 is offline   Reply With Quote