View Single Post
Old
04-13-2004, 12:25 AM
Laperriere22*

vCash: 500
I wonder about some of the big names these days. Like Pronger. He's a guy that's notorious for his stickwork and occasionally throws a big hit, but usually fights small European guys if at all (cough...Sandstrom...cough...Slegr...cough). You put Pronger in the 70's with that nastiness and he would be getting punished by any number of eccentric tough guys from back then. I question whether Pronger would be as effective after having someone like Tiger Williams or Dave Schultz beat the piss out of him for his stickwork. Bourque compares fine; he was always a two-way player that set up a fence for himself. Smart enough to keep himself out of the bigger hits most of the time and his raised stick took care of the few guys that were able to line him up.

Lidstrom I really wonder about. He's got the smarts to play in any era, but how would he react to some of the stuff Salming endured? I don't think anyone of us can do anything but guess about that. Breaking barriers like Salming did requires an amazing amount of toughness and I hesitate to say that any player could do it, even a player as good as Lidstrom.