View Single Post
Old
04-13-2004, 10:03 AM
chicpea*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
What I wonder is, does it matter to anyone ? Is it just a matter of partisanship ?
It matters to me. Of course, it'll always be a matter of partisanship to some degree, but for the last few years, even when we weren't winning, I could always take comfort that at least my team wasn't considered 'cheap' by the majority of other teams and their fans. I posted against deandebean briefly in that other thread about how 'sport' without sportsmanship could degenerate into something akin to gladiatorial exhibitions. That's a bit hyperbolic, but the sentiment is true, I think. As much as I love hockey, it is after all a game. In fact, one of the things I especially like about hockey (and soccer) is the amount of sportsmanship in the game. I know, some will say that this is not a warrior mentality and there's no way you can win without 'doing all it takes.' I don't necessarily disagree with all that, but winning through cheating leaves a foul stain on every trophy. Ask Brett Hull if he's ever reminded about Dallas' famous last goal, or Bobby Clarke if he's ever reminded about Vharlamov's [sp?] broken ankle.