Old
04-14-2004, 09:48 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider917
i htink we should re-sign this guy know. he has shown that he can deliver when it counts. i think that if he can get a complete season under this system, that he will be more consistent. with all the youth on this team coming, we need an offensive leader. koivu is the captain so kovalev wouldnt have to be the leader at both ends. he would be like what mogilny is for the leafs.
I agree that Kovalev was one of our best last night (and in Game 3), but still...
no, I wouldn't re-sign him. Not unless he wants to be paid roughly half his current salary.

We're not so close to being Cup contenders that he puts us over the top, and if we dare to project some first-line wingers in the form of Kastitsyn or Perezhogin coming onboard within the next 5 years, then I don't think Kovalev is a priority. If we had buckets of money to throw around and there was no cap, maybe it's a different story. But I'll operate on the assumption that we don't have lots of money to spend, and so I think it can be more wisely spent. We need some more gritty size and leadership up front if we need anything there, but more importantly we need another good d-man.

I don't really see Bob Gainey wanting to invest long-haul in a guy who is a bit fragile or flakey in terms of confidence and character. And say what you will about Kovalev's talent, he is a bit of flake. I don't think he's a good fit in our hopes of building a contender. He's a good rental, but not a good franchise cornerstone. I'd shop elsewhere. Half the league will be free agents over the next 3 years. There'll be a lot of skill guys with better heart out there.