Old
04-15-2004, 05:13 PM
TimothyR

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by espion
More Playoff games = More Hockey.
More playoff games = More fun.
More Playoff games = more $ for the owners and players.
More Playoffs games = more entertainment for the fans.

What's a matter with you? If anything MORE teams should make it in the playoffs just so that more fans can enjoy the hunt.

If you are a season ticket holder as you say... I think your problem is that you don't like to have to pony up the money for all the games.

If anything should be shortened it's the regular season. 82 games is totally unecessary. Why 82? Why not 80? Why not 70? (aside from the drop in revenue of course). In Europe the seasons only last 40 games or so.The players are then much better rested of course.
I respect your opinion, but mine is that more is not necessarily better. You keep saying that more, more, more is so much better for the fans. How come the NHL doesnít have a network television contract? Why is it that I get choked to death on baseball, football and basketball games but I canít watch other hockey teams play on a regular basis until the playoffs; even though I have 3 sports channels on my cable? Why is it that ESPN carries the freaking strong man competitions, womenís pool, poker leagues, etc. (not that there is anything wrong with any of them) but I canít see more hockey games? How is that better for the fans?

Why is it many sports fans think that the NHL is a stepchild to the other sports? This is the question that I am focusing on when I started this thread. That is why I stated earlier that I have many friends who are sports fans but not hockey fans. As I said, some of their main complaints against hockey are that too many teams make the playoffs and that the playoffs are too long. Those are legitimate points from potential fans. By decreasing the number of teams and the length of the playoffs, you MAY be able to do a couple of things. First, the playoff games may be more intense since the players know they have fewer games to move onto the next round. There would be less chance of fatigue playing a part with serious injuries to star players, thus making the game MORE exciting. Next you may be able to attract many MORE fans. With MORE fans then you might be able to get that network contract and everybody would be able to see MORE games.

If you want the true reason that the playoffs are so long with so many teams, read back in this thread to Irishís post. That is the exact reason. The only more money for the players is via bonuses. Not too long ago it was different and the first two rounds were the best of 5.

Quote:
What's a matter with you? If anything MORE teams should make it in the playoffs just so that more fans can enjoy the hunt..
Again, less may be more. If we can make the game more exciting and attractive to more people, then it is a win for everybody.

Quote:
If you are a season ticket holder as you say... I think your problem is that you don't like to have to pony up the money for all the games..
You think wrong. During the regular season, I set money aside each game for playoff tickets. I already have the money for my playoff tickets through the Stanley Cup round. Also, it is my choice to get the tickets. I choose so willingly since I love the game. Just because I think that the NHL has problems and I have opinions on them does not mean that I love the game any less or I am not a fan. My seats are in the 300ís section. I may not be the richest person or have the closest seats, but at least I am supporting the team and the game with my money and presence at the games. And, let me make it REAL FREAKING CLEAR. I am not implying that I am some kind of a bigger fan than you are if you donít have season tickets. I despise the a$$holes that come on these boards and say how they are bigger fans than some because they have more jerseys, know more stats, have close seats, etc. There are many different types of fans. We are in common because we are fans. True fans give what they can give. I am just one who has been fortunate enough to be able to get those season tickets.

Quote:
If anything should be shortened it's the regular season. 82 games is totally unecessary. Why 82? Why not 80? Why not 70? (aside from the drop in revenue of course). In Europe the seasons only last 40 games or so.The players are then much better rested of course.
Again, if this is what you think, fine. I think itís wrong. I donít like the idea of having a playoff and championship that would last half of or longer what the regular season would run. If that is the case, then why even have the regular season? My definition of playoffs is having the best teams in the league (those teams proving that they are best via the regular season) battle it out to prove who was the overall best. Not every team except those who were utterly horrible making it. You can make the argument that with fewer teams making it that there is less of a chance for upsets. Look at Anaheim last year. True. But, no matter how many make it, there will always be a chance for the lower team to beat the upper team. Also, if fewer teams make it, then regular season games might be much better games since the teams know that every point is important for making the playoffs. Better games equals MORE fans. MORE fans equals more exposure and a chance for MORE fans to see MORE games.