Old
04-15-2004, 08:14 PM
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Eventually Ranger fans will be back. I honestly don't know if Devils fans will. And this is not an insult to Devils fans, but it seems that most of them pretty much don't care either. All in all there is about 6 other franchises that will fold before the Devs.
You obviously don't know many real Devil fans. Every Devil fan I know lives and dies with NJ, and I know quite a few.

More importantly, if you walk around northern NJ and even NYC to an extent, you see many, many kids, aged 5-12, wearing Devils apparel. Lots of it. Jackets, hats, backpacks, it's increadible. NJ may not have a huge fan base right now, but if the NHL still exists in ten-fifteen years it will be gigantic. The fact that they've won as much as they have is a huge attraction to kids, and something about NJ just breeds fanatics. Fans like me, who became fans between 1992-1997 are getting close to being of age to take themselves to games, and there are a lot of us.

Plus, the Devils make a lot of money off of merchandise. The whole attendance thing hurts financially, but not as much as one might assume. The lack of sellouts is also somewhat of a deception as the CAA is a very large arena, with about 19,000 seats. In just about any other arena in the NHL the fans NJ gets for playoff games would be the equivalent to a sellout.