View Single Post
Old
04-16-2004, 11:22 AM
BubbaBoot

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster
Good post. I clearly remember the old late 60's and 70's rivalry between the Habs and the Bruins. It cost me plenty of fingernails and kept me on the edge of my seat come playoff time. The early 70's edition of the Bruins was one of the best teams I ever saw.

This series is somewhat reminiscent of these rivalries of old IMO. The quality of the players on the B's roster may not match Orr, Esposito and company but the intensity is certainly there. Both teams refuse to give in and are very evenly matched. I can see the B's coming out very strong on Saturday. Some of the people on the Bruins board are being tough on Thornton. I'd take him on my team any day. Same with Samsonov. I can't say enough about Raycroft. As much as I like Ryder, Raycroft's performance in this series proves he deserves the Calder.
Have to agree, it is a deja vu all over again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster
No matter what the outcome, I think this series will have a direct effect on how both teams will shape up in the next few years. Each team has managed to expose the other's shortcomings to a certain extent. As a result, both Gainey and O'Connell will modify accordingly and future playoff meetings between the Habs and Bruins can only get better. Not a bad thing IMO.

The next game should be something...
I wish the NHL would schedule more regional rivalries, it would make the regular season more important and make the playoffs even more dramatic.
A Montreal v. Boston NHL rivalry would be tantamount to a Red Sox v Yankees rivalry down here in New England...at least in my eyes anyways.