Thread: Alexei Kovalev
View Single Post
Old
04-16-2004, 01:41 PM
HCH

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruins8152
Speaking as a Bruins fan, so i have no biased opinion towrds this matter, i feel that the trade wasnt a smart move on Gainys behalf. I mean the Candians likely arent gonna conend for the cup, nor are they expected to. Mtl should be in a rebuildng mode here and i dont understand why you would give up a real blue chip prospect lik Balej for Kovelev. I mean this team should be in the process of being built to contend for the cup in like 3-5 years. Trading one of ur best prospects for a guy that wont be around when the rest of ur prospects delevope absolutely makes no sence to me.
Montreal has a glut of prospects that are due to hit the NHL at the same time and there won't be room for all of them. Sooner or later someone will have to be moved. Gainey chose sooner and in doing so sent a message to the Montreal fans that this club will do what it takes to improve themselves.

At the same time Gainey added to the depth of the farm system by signing two free agent college players (Danis and Robinson). That's a second message to the fans who have watched other teams conistently sign these prospects.

Of course the series might have been a lot easier for Boston without Kovalev in Montreal's lineup. I am sure most Boston fans would prefer to see Kovalev still with the Rangers and out of the playoffs.