View Single Post
Old
02-05-2008, 08:04 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexXed View Post
As a D man, I tend to be defensively responsible and am always watching for the oppositions high man. Breakaways do happen against us while I'm on the ice, but rarely I'm always looking to prevent them.

Anyway, I know that positioning is key when defending an oncoming forward, both laterally and by matching the forwards oncoming speed. However, there are times when a forward who is just crazy quick will come straight at me and is closing the distance considerably. I suppose my fault for being too close, or just not being fast enough while skating backwards. A stickcheck here is hardly going to work, and I find that in the midst of pivoting to chase him when he gets by me, my legs kinda momentarily lose themselves and its almost like I forget how to skate for a couple of seconds. I fall and get back up quickly to skate after him but again that feeling is there and I must look like a comlpete tool for 2 seconds. I don't know how else to describe it, perhaps poise and composure in terms of skating?

Anyone else have this at all? What can be done to 'train' the muscles to not become jelly when it happens? It doesn't happen often but when it does its pretty embarrassing
Sounds to me like you're not anticipating the need to turn around quick enough and when the decision is made, 1 it's to late already and 2 you rush it and get tangled in foot.

I'd take a moment to see how many breakaways happen when your on the bench to when you're out there and compare the 2, it may be that while you think you're giving yourself enough room to safeguard that, you may be playing to far up. Additionally, if turning is a problem, you may want to give your self the cushion of an extra step back so as to increase the gap between you and the on-coming forward.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote