Thread: Tape Question
View Single Post
Old
02-06-2008, 02:46 PM
94now

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJrumble View Post
Something I noticed this year that I havn't years passed is players only taping the toe of their blade.

I was wondering the purpose behind this. The player im thinking of is Jared Boll. Does he does this because it puts more spin/torque or whatever on his wrist shot or is it more of a puck handling thing

Do any of you do this and what does it help you with?

I have noticed other players only taping the toe but hes the only one that comes to mind.

Image off Yahoo.
For wooden sticks the purpose of taping is dual: to protect the blade from moisture (primary) and to create the better puck rotation while shooting or passing (secondary). For composite sticks moisture is not the issue. However, the glass like blade surface makes getting any grip on the puck difficult. Plus, many believe that wood puck handling feel that is lost with composite stick could be somewhat restored by applying the tape. I know people that use two tape layers to make for that softer feel. Those who do not care abot it tape just a toe because toe is usually off the ice when shot is made and tape on it does not slow down your wrist shot release as much (any tape esp. electric one would slow your release more or less). If your weapon of choice is slap shot, you should beter tape the heel as well or your blade wount last long even is it''s not the wood. Taping the toe only is no go for wooden sticks atall for very same reason.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote