Thread: Juris Stals
View Single Post
Old
04-18-2004, 09:22 AM
Kubera55

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717
Has anyone watched this player this year in Hartford. looks like he has had lousy stats. Was pretty highly rated in Training camp. Some in the know please give a scouting report.
I've seen him play 3-4 games in Hartford, dunno if that qualifies me as 'in the know', but I'll try anyways.

Stals is a bigger kid, reasonably thick and strong. Media guides always lie, but I'd guess he's a legit 6'2" 215lbs. He doesn't hit much, but he'll shield the puck with his body and battle in the corners. He's got very good defensive awareness and a decent shot, but his hands aren't really anything to get excited about. The biggest problem, from what I've seen, is he's got slow feet. He's often out of position, or beaten wide, or reaching to get into the play because his skating just won't let him keep up. Mind you, his skating isn't flat-out-bad. But he definitely needs some work.

At the moment I'd say his future is pretty murky. He's got the ability to be a third line checking forward in the NHL; but his lack of speed, scoring, or snarl will make it tough on him as more versatile players like Kosak, Helminen, and Greg Moore start coming up.