View Single Post
Old
04-18-2004, 10:33 AM
Hecht

vCash: 500
Aeros out of playoffs....

Last night I attended Game 2 of the qualifying series between the Cincinnati Mighty Ducks and the Houston Aeros. Scratches last night Heid, Kettles, Vodrazka and Schutte.

One thing...I felt bad for Jordan Krestanovic he was a starter for tonight's game but they spelled his name wrong the scoreboard (C instead of a K). Welcome to the Aeros Jordan. Harding was the backup and Cloutier was the starter.

The game itself was very physcial lots of good checks by the Aeros (leading to 2 stoppages in play to have the trainers come out) One hit was on Alexei Smirnov which looked like a dislocated shoulder. I believe Reitz threw an amazing hipcheck as well.

The Aeros weren't too good defensively last night more our players got caught down low thus leaving the any ducks players open in the slot or on the point. Stansilov Chitsov got a couple goals that way.

Wallin, Wanving and Veillieux were back together last night. Veillieux had a goal and an assist in the loss, Wanvig picked up an assist and Wallin went scoreless in the series. Despite not picking up a lot of points in the 2 games I think they are ready to help the Wild as a complete line.

Maxime Fortunus got the start over Heid last night, he didn't get a lot of ice time but wasn't very effective when he was out there. He's not very big and took a lot of punishment out there.

Like I said above Cloutier started last night. I think he's the same height as Darren Pang (and I'm talking Tiny). He goes down too early in the butterfly and can't see around screens very well. Two of the six goals weren't his fault. The first one bounced off one of our defenseman's skates and went in the other was an empty net.

I was disappointed that McLellan didn't take him out and put Harding in net after the 4th goal. 4-2 game at that point. It showed how badly the Aeros missed Holmqvist.

despite the final score 6-2 the score was tied at 2 going into the 3rd period. After the Aeros were down 5-2 with 5:00 remaining the ended up pulling the goalie for the extra attacker we got 1 back but gave up another on an empty net. By this time I was all for the Aeros beating some duck ass but that didn't happen either.

Hopefully next year the Aeros will have some decent defensive prospects playing on the team because they will be hurting next year if they don't.

*extra notes*
During the two injury timeouts... The PA announcer played the M*A*S*H and the Doogie Hauser M.D. theme respectively.

The fans have picked up on the U of MN chant of asking how much time is left when the announcer says 1 minute left in play. The crowd responds "thank you"