View Single Post
Old
04-18-2004, 03:32 PM
nyr5186

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlyRegardedRookie
I have no problem with making deals, so long as they're good deals. But we shouldn't go into the draft thinking, "We have X number of things available to trade. Let's get the best we can out of it." We need to go into the draft thinking, "We have these assets. We can either keep them, or we can trade them." If good deals come along, take them. If not, sit tight with what we have. If teams know we're dead-set on making trades, we trade from a position of weakness.

I think I might be the only one around here who would actually be pretty satisfied if we make no trades before the end of the draft.
I agree with that logic. Maloney and Co. really need to do everything they can to avoid trading from a point of weakness. Dont make a trade just for the sake of making one. That being said, from all I've read, this draft is supposed to have some pretty good talent in the 1st round, but doesn't have the depth (or known depth) in the 2nd and 3rd rounds as you usually see. Apparently there's a big dropoff after the 20-25th pick. Those in the know (Edge, Park, etc.), please confirm that for me. If thats the case, then you have to take advantage of your abundance of picks to move up into the 1st round.

Here's another situation I've been thinking about. In the recent Sather drafts, the Rangers have always had some guys much higher on their board than most scouting services and other teams. A few years ago, Tyutin was very high on their list, but fortunately dropped all the way to the 2nd round. Last year, Jessiman was 4th on their list, but was taken 12th in the draft. If it wasn't for the Rangers taking him, he might have even dropped to the late 1st round. Most scouting reports projected him as a mid-late 1st rounder if I remember correctly. How does that trend translate into this year's draft? IMO, Maloney and Co. probably have one or two guys at the #6 spot who they take automatically if they're there. For the sake of argument, lets say those guys are Ladd and Olesz. If both are gone by that time, I could see them trading down from that #6 spot for say a #10 pick and another 2nd rounder. For all we know, they could be higher on a guy like Picard or Thelan (who they could pick up at around 10) than on Schremp or Barker, which is why I reference back to the past few drafts. It all depends on how our scouts look at the big picture.