View Single Post
Old
02-14-2008, 12:50 PM
Henrique Iglesias
Doc & Chico Forever

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy View Post
I'm only play rec hockey but have been lucky enough to play with the same d partner for most of my games on D. Huge difference - especially when you learn the other guys tendancies.

Confidence is my biggest issue and all the tips help a lot. Some make me bang my head on the wall and others prove that I'm doing the right thing.

Some quick questons.

When do you make a smart pinch vs. a stupid pinch? When you are down or up on the scoreboard? ONLY when you know you'll win the race? Only when you have someone covering? When the hot puck in the 5th row is watching? All the above??

When the play is downlow I always find myself covering one guy and a second is left open or beats his guy to the net and is open for a crosscrease pass...If I'm alone infront with two guys do I try to cover both (stay between them) or do I just take my man and hope the centre of other guy figures it out?

Is it best to tie up a guy infront or stay between him and the net? I'm not the biggest guy but I can move guys out pretty easily.

Finallly...is there any point to chasing a guy from behind the net or just stay on my post? I see a lot of guys that come down around the boards, behind the net and stop in the corner or at the hash marks looking for a pass. Its a low percentage shot and if they are standing still, do you challenge them or stay between them and the net (assuming the other D man has the guy in front covered)?

See...little things. A lot of them probably just preference based on the player's abilities I imagine but any tips would be great.

Thanks for humoring me guys!
Pinching: IMO you should only pinch under 2 (separate) conditions: only when you are absolutely sure youre gonna get a chance and have enough time to get back to your position OR when your teammate knows to fill in your spot when u pinch.

Down low: dont chase the guy with the puck, stay in between him and the shooter and cut off his passing lane. And for the 2 guys down low your gonna have to do your best by handling the both of them, whoever you think is in the better scoring position. Just keep your body on him and tie his stick up.As for the guy behind the net, its really your call (depends on if hes just gonna fly the other way when u chase or you know where hes gonna go and take him), but chase ONLY if your D partner has the front covered.

Henrique Iglesias is offline   Reply With Quote