View Single Post
Old
04-20-2004, 01:28 PM
DarioinDenver

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laperriere22
I think Calgary can pull off the upset in this one. Say, Flames in 6. The Wings looked pretty pisspoor against the Preds and Calgary has one thing the Preds didn't, size on their blueline that likes to use it. The smaller skill guys on the Wings are going to get punished in a big way by the Flames D and I don't think the Wings will score goals too well after getting hammered around. There is also the Flames work ethic and speed up front that will give most of the Wings D a lot of problems. I definitely like the Flames chances in this one. It's a classic match-up: hardworking team that plays like a team to make up for having lesser talent in a lot of positions compared to their opponent versus a veteran team that plays hard for a period here and there and relies on talent to win games more than hard work. I'll take the hardworking team more often than not in such a match-up.
I tend to agree. The work ethic of Calgary gives me flashbacks to the Kings of the last few years with better goaltending. If Detroit doesn't bring their hard nosed game to the table right away they could be punch drunk early in the series. Oh, and Detroit is going to absolutely loath Ville Niemenen.