View Single Post
Old
04-20-2004, 05:23 PM
Irish Blues

vCash: 500
What we really should have done (and I mentioned it at the time) was deal away for the future at the trade deadline. It's not like this team was going to go far in the postseason, we'd have been better off dealing guys that had trade value and stocking up on picks/prospects so we'd be sitting in a much better situation come '06 or '07.

Demitra would be trade bait at the draft - yes whoever took him would have to qualify him, but we could write "future considerations" into the deal if necessary. Otherwise, I'd sell him off to the highest bidder. I wanted to trade Weight to Detroit (yes, *that* Detroit) before they got Lang from Washington. I'd at least explore that route and see if the Wings have any interest, with us getting fair return for him even if we have to eat part of his salary.

Personally, I think we should prepare for some rough times ahead. The playoff streak may be in serious jeopardy, but IMO that's OK. If missing the playoffs for a year or two sets this team up beautifully for 3-4 years down the road, then it's worth it. This franchise *has* to develop from within and stay the course all the way through instead of getting the itchy finger and deciding to make a leap of faith and trade away hoping we can grab the Cup w/o falling into the canyon.