View Single Post
Old
04-21-2004, 01:08 PM
Laperriere22*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4
The Wings arent as fast an most teams, I think we all can agree on that. Which means they must do other things to win.

This is how hockey has been played now for a better part of a decade. Why would you say that the Wings style of play THIS YEAR is going to ruin hockey. Hockey has been ruined for a few years by many teams and systems. I would LOOOOOVE for everyone to play like the Edmonton Oilers all the time. That would be very exciting stuff. But guess what? That doesnt win anything anymore.

If the Wings need to clog the zone and clutch and grab (like EVERY other team also does) to win, then so be it. Do I like to watch it? Absolutely not. But this is not the Wings doing. Its what the NHL is these days.

But if it makes you feel better to blame the Wings, then go ahead and believe it.
Duh. Honestly, I've never had so many mis-interpretations of one comment (and I have had more than a few to deal with). There's no need for this defense of the Wings because my comment was relating to the words coming out of casual fans and rather ignorant media types than the Wings themselves. They blame the Devils and Wild (mainly), but refuse to realize or admit that the Wings do it as does most of the league. That ignorance/hypocrisy is what my comment was addressing. I recall a certain Flames fan complaining about how dull the Devils-Ducks match-up was going to be; ditto the Wild-Ducks. Yet, I don't see Splatman complaining about the Flames-Wings match-up. Wonder why?

And yes, I hate the Wings, but it's not because of their success. To go along with their modest success, there is also the embarrassments at the hands of the Devils, Kings, and the Ducks. They are a team that found a way to win a small number of cups, but like the Avalanche, they could have been an actual dynasty instead of finding ways to underachieve every other year (generalization). I hate the Wings because Norris division rivalries die hard and I very much remember the sucky Wings teams. That line may apply to other fans, but it doesn't apply to me. I'm a Blues fan whose duty as a Blues fan is to hate the Wings. The North Stars are in a different division now and the Leafs in a different conference. The only other Norris team left in the division besides Detroit is Chicago and the Hawks just aren't good enough to hate at the moment.