View Single Post
Old
02-20-2008, 03:08 PM
Hockey Granny

vCash: 500
I very strongly disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
It has nothing to do with "buying in". Mike Peca isn't a first line center no matter how much he buys in--hasn't been his whole career. Nor is Jason Chimera a second line winger. Heart only goes so far. This team lacks skill at certain positions, something that was clear in July '07.
Well, Capn, I'm going to have to take strong exception to your comment above re: Michael Peca. Here's a player drafted in 1992 in the 2nd round & 40th overall. In 1994 he won a gold medal in the World Juniors. He won the Selke in 1997 (and again in 2002). As team captain in Buffalo in 1999 he led them to the cup final (in which their loss was a simply a TRAVESTY). In 2001 he was captain of Canada's World Championship team. In 2002 he was alternate captain of the Olympic gold medal winning Canadian team. Also in 2002 (his first season w/ the Isles) Peca led the team to their first playoff appearance in 7 yrs. If this is your definition of a player who has never been a first line center, then your dfinition and mine differ by MILES. I'll grant you that he may no longer be a first liner, given his age and the leg injuries/surgeries. However, he is still a very good second liner. Mike's presence, assists & positional play on the ice provides a reference point that gels the offense. He's a great hockey "quarterback"! The trouble w/ the CBJ is that way too much of all of our forward's time is being spent struggling to disengage the **** puck along the boards etc. They are forced to spend way too much time in their own zone buried in the corners, with the center trying to defend the slot, because we haven't got any defensemen who can transition to our own end!

PS- Peca is also an excellent passer, very good in the face-off circle and great on the PK. 'Course none of that is important either, right? (end of rant)

Last edited by Hockey Granny: 02-20-2008 at 03:23 PM. Reason: additional thoughts
Hockey Granny is offline   Reply With Quote