View Single Post
Old
02-20-2008, 03:23 PM
CapnCornelius

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Granny View Post
Well, Capn, I'm going to have to take strong exception to your comment above re: Michael Peca. Here's a player drafted in 1992 in the 2nd round & 40th overall. In 1994 he won a gold medal in the World Juniors. He won the Selke in 1997 (and again in 2002). As team captain in Buffalo in 1999 he led them to the cup final (in which their loss was a simply a TRAVESTY). In 2001 he was captain of Canada's World Championship team. In 2002 he was alternate captain of the Olympic gold medal winning Canadian team. Also in 2002 (his first season w/ the Isles) Peca led the team to their first playoff appearance in 7 yrs. If this is your definition of a player who has never been a first line center, then your dfinition and mine differ by MILES. I'll grant you that he may no longer be a first liner, given his age and the leg injuries/surgeries. However, he is still a very good second liner. Mike's presence, assists & positional play on the ice provides a reference point that gels the offense. He's a great hockey "quarterback"! The trouble w/ the CBJ is that way too much of all of our forward's time is being spent struggling to disengage the **** puck along the boards etc. They are forced to spend way too much time in their own zone buried in the corners, with the center trying to defend the slot, because we haven't got any defensemen who can transition to our own end!

So, what exactly is the disagreement? Listen, he's a fine hockey player, but some of you want to dog pile on me so much that you disagree just for the sake of "disagreeing" when there's no basis for it. The Selke is not an award given to the best first line center in the league--its an award given to the best defensive forward. Samuel Pahlsson was nominated for the award last season and he's also not a first line center.

All these other accolades, deserved as they are, aren't evidence that Peca is a true first line center--they're evidence that he's a leader, something that's not in question.

But look at Peca's production particularly the second half of this season and tell me that he's honestly a second line center. Peca's place is on the checking line at this stage in his career. On a more talented team, that's absolutely where he'd be and he'd serve that function well. And given that you admit he's not a first line center, I'm not sure what the feigned controversy is here.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote