View Single Post
Old
04-21-2004, 10:21 PM
TheBudsForever

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineers
Clarke is the GM - he won't be playing tmrw. The Flyers also have an all-European defense (except Markov who is a Canadian at heart) And Brashear - just checks and fights and falls down. I really don't think he plays any dirtier than anybody else (low checks, high elbows, stickwork etc...)
Honestly guy, you have a real fixation somehow about the Leafs being a dirty team. First off, you are way off base re Roberts. You've got a point re Marchment and Tucker, but both are playing pretty clean hockey this season.

Also, Flyer history is full of players that could be called "dirty". "Dirty" hockey is responsible for the only 2 Cups your club has ever won. I watched both of those back to back Cup runs, so trust me, I know what I'm talking about when I say there were many Flyer players who make Marchement and Tucker look like complete candyasses when it came to dirty hockey ... geez man, the Broad Street Bullies were the closest thing to "Slapshot" that the NHL has ever seen since at least the late 1960's. I have no idea how old you are, or if you were even alive when the Flyers won those Cups, but I've got money that says if you were alive, or if you were alive then, you either were, or would have been walking on air and yapping about how the Flyers were the best team in the NHL.

And again, your GM had a big reputation as a "dirty player". Here's an excerpt describing him re the 1972 Summit Series (which I also watched live):

"The "Flin Flon Bomber" also earned the despise of many as he is of course remembered for a vicious two handed slash on Soviet superstar Valeri Kharlamov's sore ankle, which caused him to miss the final game. Many have chastised Clarke for his dirty actions. It is a bit of a trademark image for Clarke, who was known as a gritty but sometimes dirty player who would do whatever it took for his team to win.

Clarke was once asked by famous hockey journalist Dick Beddoes about the slash. Clarke, in typical fashion, downplayed the "tap on his sore ankle" as a part of hockey. "If I hadn't learned to to lay on a two-hander once in a while, I'd never have left Flin Flon.""

http://www.1972summitseries.com/clarke.html

His comments about how Roger Neilson [a real class guy in his time on thie Earth and in the NHL] went "goofy" after he returned from cancer treatment as being one of the reasons why Neilson wasn't allowed back behind the bench was about as crass as a GM can get IMHO.

BUT, you know something, that's all in the past ... just like it is this season for Marchement and Tucker. That's also why nobody is really mentioning the dirty hockey theme re the Leafs, other than yourself.