View Single Post
Old
04-22-2004, 04:36 AM
FinnoHab

vCash: 500
Quick translation from the website of a Finnish tabloid:

SAKU AND HANNA EXPECTING THEIR FIRST CHILD

"This is super happy news for us"

The spring is looking very bright for Saku Koivu. On top of success in hockey, he now has happy family news as his wife Hanna is pregnant with the couple's first child.

People close to the Koivus have known of this for a few weeks now, and while the couple themselves wanted to keep a lid on it until the end of the hockey season, the word is out now.

"I guess there's no use denying it at this point. Seems that rumors spread quickly, and this is very happy news for us. We're expecting a child right at the end of the year", says Saku from his Montreal home.

Despite the great joy in the family, Saku is hoping to keep a low profile about this.

"We're at the very beginning with this. A lot can happen yet", says this hockey player who's been through a lot himself.

Due to Saku's cancer (Burkitt's Lymphoma) two years ago and the treatment he received, the couple was not sure that they could even have children.

"We're very happy just to find out that we are able to have children."

Saku emphasizes that everything has gone well so far in the Koivu family.

"It's gone as well as possible."

His wife Hanna confirms this as well: "I've felt very good during the first weeks of my pregnancy. I haven't felt tired or fatigued or anything like that", says Hanna.

Despite the joyous news, Koivu now needs to focus on his work. The Stanley Cup Playoffs continue tomorrow for the Canadiens. Saku is currently number one in the playoff scoring race.

"Happy news like this brings more positive energy to my play as well as the rest of my life"

It is doubtful that the Finnish team will have Koivu available for the Ice Hockey World Championships.

---

that's it.