View Single Post
Old
02-26-2008, 10:11 AM
predhead1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
I don't understand why everyone throws out this term all the time. We are in a position where if we make a deal, we will not mortgage our future. We could easily afford to lose a young defensemen and a draft pick. We have a ton of young defensemen and have a lot of draft picks in the upcoming draft.

Its the same way people said we mortgaged our future last year. We didn't. We still have a bright future even with that trade.

I'm not saying we should go out and throw a 1st and a defensemen towards anything, but at the same time I think that we are in a position to where we can afford to take some risks.

You never know when you'll make the playoffs in this NHL. Not only do you have to deal with the increased parity, but also injuries and other factors. Hence why I still believe the Forsberg deal was a good deal. Just think what we would have been saying had we stood pat.

Again, I'm not saying that we are going to win the cup or that we should go out and get a top line rental forward. But I do think that Poile should get a depth scorer to play with Erat and Legwand. Now with injuries to Ortmeyer and Gelinas, we are stretched out even more. Adding a little bit of scoring could be just what we need to get us into the playoffs. Making the playoffs is important for our franchise. It helps our paid attendance, puts more money into the pockets of our owners, and builds for the future for our fan base. Not to mention, you never know what will happen in the playoffs.
Agreed. Plus, with Sullivan's status still highly questionable, I don't think the acquisition of a top 6 forward is a short-term move, unless Poile opts for the true rental-UFA route. It's clear that we need to move some of our D, otherwise they are wasted assets. We simply cannot continue to carry 8 D on our roster while suffering from a lack of scoring depth up front. I'd rather see us part with significant assets now (Suter/Klein/Zidlicky and picks) to make a long-term acquisition of a top 6 forward, rather than cross our fingers and hope for the best for the rest of this season (and next).

predhead1 is offline   Reply With Quote