View Single Post
Old
02-26-2008, 06:36 PM
Seth Lake

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Not disappointed at all in what Poile did, or didn't do today...

As a matter of fact I was a bit concerned that he would try to make a big impact deal and overpay due to the fact that we had nothing of note to really offer. I know everyone is going to be looking at the Prospal deal and crying "why didn't we get him?" However, it has been mentioned on the NP.com boards several times by several sources that David was active on that and said he just missed out.

Of the big names that got moved, I wanted NO PART of any of them. We cannot afford a major contract at this point in our franchise history and honestly I believe that the first $6 million+ deal will come to one of our homegrown players coming of age (Weber or Radulov). Additionally, this season was not a year that we needed a rental player. One of our strengths the past few seasons has been depth, but over the summer that was wiped out due to the ownership chaos. With the recent injuries to both Gelinas (who was our postseason addition - although he has been with us all season) and Ortmeyer our lack of depth is clear and therefore we could not move a forward off our roster without having a major impact on the other end and simply no one wanted our forward prospects.

Honestly, I was a bit surprised that we didn't move a guy like Niskala or Sulzer (although I really like Sulzer and believe he will be an impact player at the NHL level) for something, but it is obvious that we went into the deadline with a plan in mind and that plan was to augment our depth at forward without hurting what we have alerady built this season. We have a young core group here and the future is bright looking forward. Don't jump all over Poile for not making any major moves today, his course was decided long ago and to his credit he did not deviate from it. We reloaded our depth today and that was what was needed.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote