View Single Post
Old
04-25-2004, 02:25 AM
Leetchie

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Leetchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr4life5186
I understand where you're coming from, but I just dont wanna see a half-assed rebuilding process. Most fans have been asking to clean house and start over with youth for 5 years now. Now that we've started doing that, I'm fully prepared to take the licks and be patient with the Balejs and Tyutins and Blackburns and Lundmarks for the next 3-5 years. I dont want to see any shortcuts taken. I want to see this done right. And if that means giving a top line spot to a kid like Moore or Lundmark instead of reserving it for Demitra, thats what I want to do.

Dominic Moore's ceiling isn't as good as Demitra's current level of play. I was high on Lundmark, but I don't think his ceiling is that high either anymore. I'm not trying to banish the youth to the 4th (or even 3rd) line -- just trying to surround them with players that can help them grow.

I'm fine with having veterans, so long as the kids see ice time as well. The difference between a "half assed rebuilding process" and a successful attempt to compete with youth is the way in which the young players are used. In the past seven years, only one (maybe two) young Rangers have been used properly; Mike York and perhaps Marc Savard. Once you start cutting young players' ice time with the hopes of making the playoffs, then you cross over into "half assed" rebuilding.