View Single Post
Old
04-25-2004, 03:21 PM
Peter Griffin

vCash: 500
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but Cloutier may very well be back next season, splitting time with Alex Auld. It all depends on what he gets at arbitration, if he decides to go. I can see the Canucks going as high as $3.5 mil on a one year deal, anything more and I think they let him walk. As it has already been mentioned, Cloutier was not the problem in this years post-season, and wasn't really the problem last year either, the team played like crap in front of him. But one thing of major concern is Clouts' knack of going down with injury either during the post-season(like this year), or being injured just prior to the post-season(previous two years). Whether this is due to bad condtioning, bad luck, or just being overworked is up for discussion, but the Canucks may want to get a fresh start. If Cloutier is brought back next season that will be 3 years in a row that the Canucks enter the post-season as a contending team(if they are contenders... ) with a ? mark between the pipes. I don't know if the Canucks can afford that.

Anyway, Cloutier is a solid goalie who will land somewhere if Vancouver lets him go. I think New York could be a good fit.