View Single Post
Old
04-26-2004, 06:32 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlyRegardedRookie
Lundqvist, Tyutin, Zidlicky, Stals, Jonasen, Prucha, and Baranka. Exactly one of those players is an NHL regualr at this point. Tyutin probably will be, but none of those others are guarantees. Kloucek played 42 games this year. Again, not exactly tearing it up. We can point to exactly one guy who is an NHL regular that Rockstrom dug up in the last decade. There are others we're high on, but I have to wonder where he got this reputation and how he keeps it. Good scout? Sure. But if we had this European miracle-worker you'd think we'd be a playoff team.

Look at other teams past drafts, see what their success rate is with Euro prospects, you'll see very little difference. What makes Rockstroms picks standout is the fact all of these guys have made great progress every year since they've been drafted. Baranka? Very few people had him high on their lists, and now he's one of the WHL's most valuable D-men. Same could be said of Jonasen.

I'm not saying these guys will be NHL all-stars, but the way these prospects have progressed shows me that Rockstrom must've seen something in players that might not have been shown up on the scoresheets or were apparent to other scouts.