View Single Post
03-01-2008, 09:37 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
He's a defenseman and scoring goals wasn't his forte.

He was the all-time leader in PIM, he did win a stanley cup, he was credited with volunteering to shutdown Hull and succeeding in a playoff series, he was praised by several sources for his team play, leadership and energy level.

I simply provided the quotes.

Was he one of the all-time great shutdown defensive defensemen? No one is saying that! He was described as a journeyman who played a physical brand of defense which was successful at times, a very tough and hard-working competitor with exceptional work ethic.

No one is saying he was a top-3 defenseman on any team. But he certainly brings qualities to a #6/#7 slot on an all-time ML draft squad (lower end of the top-1000 in hockey history).

Argue against the quotes if you want.
Van, I was there. The guy was a fringe player.

Of course, His own teamates are going to speak favorably about him.When I have the time, I will search out some negative quotes. Harder to find because most player site semphasize the positive. Don't go with a couple of quotes to rate a player. This is what scares me about the Drafts & the AT list we are working on.

I don't think he ever won a cup. If he did he was watching from the pressbox. BTW, TEAMS win cups (a sore point with me)

The guy was a bum. No way he is a #6/#7 D in a MLS by any stretch of the imagination. When he was "checking" Hull he was a forward.

pappyline is offline   Reply With Quote