View Single Post
Old
04-29-2004, 11:35 AM
True Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt13
I think management thinks in the end he will be more talented than Manning but he wasn't ready to step in now and the Giants needed someone to be QB this year. Collins was a bit above average (I know I will get reemed for that comment) but Coughlin wants it to be a new look team with a new attitude and thus, we have a new quarterback.
I can tell you for a fact that that is not at all what the Giants thought. I can tell you that not only did Acorsi & co. have Manning rated higher than both Roethlisberger & Rivers, but FAR ahead of either of them. Coughlin was on board. The Giants had Manning rated as far and away the best player in the draft. Gallery was never a serious consideration once it was learned that Eli was available.
Neither Coughlin nor Acorsi were enamoured of Collins. Neither thought he was above average. The Giants took the player that they pictured would be the face of the franchise for the next decade. Acorsi could not pass on a franshise QB.

"He caught the biggest pass thrown to him in his career - the jump ball over Dawkins that essentially put the Giants in the playoffs two years ago. There is simply no argument whatsoever that he is not an elite player, and he's only going to get better"

Shockey drops 1st downs ALL THE TIME. He droped more passes in the endzone than he's caught. Yes, I think that he has the potential to be great, but IMO (please notice the IMO) he IS NOT elite. For my tastes, he drops more big balls than he catches. He catches lots of passes, but he seems to have an aversion to the big ball. I am not asking for any Giant fan to agree with me. I am simply stating my opinion. IMO, he has yet to live up to the hype that he attemtps to generate. But having said all of that, I truly believe that he is capable of being an elite player and one that will be the envy of any team that does not have KWII or TG.

"I think you're just bitter because you don't have KW II to look forward too "

Not really. While I think that KWII will be a difference maker as early as this year, my 'Skins have more than enough people that can catch the ball. Spurrier was possibly the worst coach in the NFL since Joe Walton and Ray Handley. Sean Taylor, is the player that I wanted and the one that Gibbs wanted. Gibbs places high importance on character and he did not like the fact that KWII showed up an hour and a half late for a meeting. Gibbs LOVES Taylor. IMO, Taylor will be as muc hof a difference maker as KWII will be, but on the other side of the ball. And that's the are where the 'Skins needed a difference maker.