Thread: The Rebuild
View Single Post
Old
04-29-2004, 01:48 PM
Larry Melnyk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
Sather had little choice but to gut the roster. He had guys coming off contracts and soon-to-be UFAs/retirees on the roster, most likely done on purpose to do exactly what he did in March, but I'm not convinced. By March, he had no other choice but to do what he did. He had some of the better individual players as trading chips and got rid of them, most of whom, ex Leetch, were to become UFA at the end of the season and possibly gone for nothing (Nedved was a team option, I believe). He did what he did because he had no option - no, given what he has, it's important to see what he does with it, in terms of trades, UFA signings and draft picks.
I disagree with this, in part...Indeed, alot of the deals were no brainers but he didn't have to deal Leetch (which was the huge one), he didn't have to deal Nedved, he didn't have to deal DeVries...All that being said, I'm not convinced either and am indeed holding my breath about the future moves...That doesn't take away from the point that I think Sather made some very astute pick-up near the deadline and, RIGHT NOW,I like the direction the organization APPEARS to be headed...But there are miles and miles to go