View Single Post
Old
04-30-2004, 12:05 AM
Mike8

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
Saku may have pled to management but Souray's horrible attitude earlier, and Julien not being much better, have pretty much shut down any chance Kovalev will sign with this team.
I'm not arguing your main point here, but I do think it's presumptuous to claim that Kovalev doesn't fit in with the team because of some comments from the coach and teammate a couple weeks ago.

I don't know how likely it is that Kovalev will resign here. I think you're right in stating those are three main factors in a decision. But it does depend on the person.

Montreal's a nice city. Kovalev might very well enjoy the city and want to stay here. He might get along great with a few players and the coach and given his playoff success, could feel it's a good fit. The team's a young one with some good prospects on the way. It could be successful in the not-so-distant future. The team's wealthy and hasn't shied from spending under new ownership.

This is all speculation. And I'm not saying Kovalev's likely to sign. But at the same time I don't think it'd be a longshot that he did sign. It depends on variables we can't know--mainly personality of the player.

On another note.... I find it amusing how everyone was claiming Kovalev was a bust, and a terrible pick-up as Montreal was heading into the playoffs... Some even mentioned how Balej would be more productive if he was given the same opportunities in Montreal. Fast forward three weeks and he's a core player.