View Single Post
Old
04-30-2004, 03:27 PM
Potted Plant

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Potted Plant
Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717
I wouldnt give up that much for Malkin when they could draft Schremp at #6, sign Umberger after June 1, have another 1st round pick and 5 2nd round picks. I would do that trade in a heartbeat with Washington for Ovechkin, he is the real deal.
I don't think it's worth the cost to move up. The prices being bandied about are just out of sight. EVERY ONE OF THESE GUYS IS A RISK. Paying too high a price to move up is exactly how we managed to get Pavel Brendl and lose Sundstrom, Cloutier, and a top 10 pick the next year.

I'm not high on Schremp. With the criticisms around him, I just get a certain "Terrell Owens" feel about him. Very talented, but even if he works out he may be more trouble than he's worth. Hockey is, much more than other sports, a TEAM sport, where everyone has to be on the same page and play unselfishly or the team will not be successful.

Oh, and FWIW, I hear that the "sign Umberger after June 1" idea is illegal and it would be shot down by the league. Basically, Umberger will be a free agent and can sign with any team... except us, unless no other team wants him. Bad faith dealing just won't cut it I'm afraid.