View Single Post
Old
03-16-2008, 02:28 PM
BaseballCoach

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Make no mistake, I don't think this idea is a silver bullet by any stretch, but the core flaw in the NHL now is that it is over coached. There is no way out of that and this is one of the very few ideas I've heard that actually fights back against the over coaching.

Frankly, their other idea about eliminating the ability to ice the puck during a PP was more likely to increase scoring. They added that rule because of the Habs, so it's not a purest reason (or so Strachan said).

It is silly that the NHL gives teams that take a penalty an advantage.

I think that, a full two-minute PP and non-even up reffing would make penalties much more important, which would make discipline paramount and thus make 5 on 5 more free flowing.

The worry here is that the games become an exercise in special teams, but if there were no icing and full 2 minute PPs, teams would damn well learn to stop hooking pretty fast.
I agree with no free pass on icing, but there are two very good reasons to leave the power play maximum at one goal. First, a minor penalty led, AT MOST, to denying a scoring chance, so the goal should clear the penalty. Second, the supposedly more radical alternative to a 2-minute penalty is a penalty shot, and the most you can get on one of those is one goal.

BaseballCoach is online now   Reply With Quote