View Single Post
Old
03-17-2008, 02:43 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kautsitsin View Post
How exactly do you quantify potential and likelihood to achieve it? For goaltenders, I find it's very hard if not impossible.

Personally, I see two goaltenders with a lot of talent. I like Price better because of how sound he is technically, because of his natural abilities,his size and his past performance notably during pressure situations. I do expect him to be better than Halak due to these things, but I can say with a guarantee that he'll be better... no. In the end, I'd rather go forward with both like SJ did with Nabokov, Toskala and Kiprussof. They assessed the situation and if you ask me, they made the right decision.
Easy. I think Price is more likely to reach his potential because of his size. Halak is less likely to reach his potential because of his size. That's biggest difference between Halak and Price.

The pressure situation thing to me, is at least a wash. Halak led an NHL team right back into the playoff race where-as Price has done a lot involving pressure as well. I think both goalies are very calm, cool, and collected. I doubt the pressure bothers either of them much.

Technically, Price may be a little bit better. But Halak has the most amazing lateral movement I've seen in a young goalie in a long, long time. Maybe it's just because we've been stuck watching Huet so long, lol. Price is more sound, but Halak is quicker.

SJ got the 2nd best goalie in that package, IMO. Kipper is generally considered a Top-5 while Nabokov is normally considered Top-10. But really, that's the key.. the difference between a Top-10 goalie, at least to me, is so minimal.

Of course you want Brodeur over Kipper or Nabby, but 10 times out of 10 I'd take Toews and Kipper over Brodeur and Kostopolous (spare guy who'd lose his spot for an elite player).

Of course with Halak and Price so young, it'd be a huge gamble to take.. and I'm not sure I'd do it.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote