View Single Post
Old
03-18-2008, 05:11 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrganist View Post
If someone has the time, would you mind translating this to English. I tried Bablefish but that didn't help much. It looked like there was some interesting quotes from Murray about Perron and as a Blues fan I would like to read what he said. Thanks in advance.
Alex Kovalev is David Perron's idol. But head coach of the St-Louis Blues Andy Murray has warned him that "[I ] know that he's one of his fans, but I don't want him watching him play tonight. I want him to play him."

Perron tells of how it was by watching Kovalev's moves that he most improved. "I'm going to try to get his DVD," he said. "It's not just because someone reaches the NHL that they can't continue to improve."

That's something the young player has had to repeat to himself over the course of his first season as some not-so-nice things have been written about the 19 year old in St-Louis.

An article in the Post-Dispatch a couple of weeks ago reported on the criticism of Perron's behaviour on and off the ice by Murray and Blues president John Davidson. "His attitude was never a problem," clarified Murray yesterday. "I just don't believe David realized what it took to be an NHL player yet. It wasn't long ago that he was playing in midget AA and he only played one year in Junior before joining the bigs."

According to Murray, he has a long road ahead of him. "Any player in this situation has highs and lows throughout the year, but he'll continue to improve."

Other than talk about the offending article, Perron decided to underline the influence that Paul Kariya has had on his play, as he finds himself playing on the first line with him.

"He's the one who impressed me the most," Perron said. "His work ethic is incredible. After all the money, all the points and all the success, it's amazing to see his work ethic has remained the same."

In the first few games of the season, Perron often found himself a healthy scratch. The team wanted him to go to the gym and work on building up his body. The young man from Sherbrooke took little time to add 10 lbs to his frame.

"And when we felt that he was getting tired, we let him skip a game," Murray said. "He may not be getting as many points as he did early on, but his overall game is much better."

"My game is a puck control game, but the trainers want me to become better in all facets of the game," Perron said. "Now I lead the team in +/- (+13)"

This first season has been a real baptism by fire for Perron. It's logical then that it comes to an end with the rookie dinner that took place Sunday in Montreal. "There were 3 of us that had to pay for it and it didn't make sense," he candidly revealed. "I think some of the vets will help us pay for it because it came to $48,000!"