View Single Post
Old
03-19-2008, 03:31 PM
LilWinger11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frito View Post
I took this clinic a few ago (mid 30's at the time) with my daughter and it is excellent. If I were you, I'd check your local rinks for some learn to skate programs. Most have adult classes. That should give you enough of a foundation to sign up for the Laura Stamm program in August, just in time to put it to use for the fall session.

Robbie Glanz also has adult groups and is very similar to the Laura Stamm program. A guy on my team around the same age as me did it a couple years ago.
I'd second this advice. The learn-to-skate instructors will likely have an idea of what skills you'd be expected to have for various hockey programs at the rink, and when the learn-to-skate session is over they should be able to make recommendations about what you should do next.

Also, you're in an area that I'm pretty sure has several rinks- go to a couple of different ones and watch some open hockey/stick and puck sessions. I've found that every rink in my area is a little different- some allow pickup games, some don't; some attract a lot of people, others are almost empty; some are full of A/B level beer leaguers and others are primarily dads and their little guys (and girls). If you can find one that's fairly empty and/or has a lot of younger kids or beginners on it, that's probably your best bet. Just make sure that you're comfortable stopping and changing direction with some speed, since you'll need to be able to avoid other players.

Good luck! I started a couple years ago at 24, and it's the best thing I ever did.

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote