View Single Post
Old
03-20-2008, 12:05 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU Seminoles View Post
Koivu and Streit get most of their extra minutes on the power play and PK, not by playing against Sundin or Thornton or whoever. Whenver Lantedresse played with Koivu he never looked out of place and didn't cost the team more so than Ryder or whoever played with Koivu this year.
I'm not saying he sucks. For ****'s sake, this place is unbelievable. I say he could benefit from time in the AHL and everyone feels the need to run to the defense of this guy.

Answer me this. Do you think Latendresse is a bonefide NHLer who is too good for the AHL?

And the top 2 lines are regularly matched up against the opposition's top 2 lines. This is how Carbo's been doing it all year.

I agree Latendresse looks good playing with Koivu. They have good chemistry together. But that doesn't mean the guy can't benefit from the AHL. You take him off this team and they likely won't skip a beat. It's not like he's NEEDED here. Why not help his development by giving him an opportunity to play a true scoring role with big icetime? After all, we're supposed to be patient with him right? Powerforwards don't develop till their 26 so we got 6 more years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
I'm personally not saying that Latendresse couldn't have used some time in the AHL...he was in a tough situation where he was too good for the CHL, but couldn't play in the AHL. So the Habs decided to keep him and monitor his development in the NHL. That decision produced a decent first year for Latendresse and another decent 2nd professional year for him as well, one where he wasn't counted on as much to score as the first year.

For a player who had no control over where management decided he should play (well directly anyways) he's responded quite admirably IMO. He's done more than hold his own despite the limitations in his game and I think we'll look back on it 2 or 3 years from now and he himself will say that it was the best thing for him to go through that.
Not saying he sucks. I just don't think the NHL is benefitting him like the AHL would.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote