Old
05-03-2004, 04:34 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4
Dan:

How did O'Byrne look this year at Cornell? If I'm not mistaken you got a chance to see him play (or perhaps you interviewed him?).

I saw him in 3 of the 31 games he played this year, I talked to the coaching staff and did an interview with Ryan and another one with the defensive coach, plus I listened to several of their games on the radio (but from other teams broadcast cause Cornell charges to listen to their games :mad: )

I thought he was ok in the games I saw and he seems like a great kid from talking to him. He's big, skates well and has good speed especially for a big guy. He seems to hit and hit often, (and not the Komisarek shove which I saw him do in Michigan/Hamilton with much success) but more of the crash and bang with the body type hits. I have 3 games of him on tape, and in those in has some big hits in all of them and you can see him take the body often. I like to see that, plus he is aggressive with the other players out there as he will get in their faces and was kicked out of one game for fighting (not allowed in the NCAA).

On the other hand, his reads of the play seemed a bit slow (although I've never seen a BCJHL game, so I don't know how that compares to the NCAA, which as a league has improved a great deal over the last 10 years) so perhaps O'Byrne had a problem with the speed of the game in reguards to his reaction time, but either way he'll need to improve on that in his sophomore year. His offensive game didnt seem bad but he was pointless until the final game of the year where he got 2 assits. Cornell is a low scoring team that plays the LW lock, so being a RD, O'Byrne has the chances to pinch in. But from the games I saw he makes some decent passes and has a nice shot. I would think he'll find more success offensively next year.

Overall I would say that he's still very raw, but has a great package of size/skating/physcial play. He'll need to work on several areas, but playing in the ECAC for one of the top programs in the ECAC (they should be a top 3 team next year as well from the looks of it) Ryan will have a lot of time to work on his game. I'd say he could end up playing for Cornell for the next 3 years, but I don't see that as a bad thing at all.