View Single Post
Old
05-03-2004, 07:21 PM
nordique

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh
Not in today's NHL my friend. Without Primeau, this team is a sub .500 team, with him, they are contenders for the No.1 seed. Plain and simple. Also can never underestimate leadership. Plus, if you are talking forward stats, Sundin was the only forward on the Leafs above 55 points I believe.
In comparing Nieuwendyk to Primeau, can you really say Primeau is a *better* leader?

They're both good leaders, for sure, but Nieuwendyk's won three Stanley Cups with three different organizations as well as an Olympic gold medal and a Conn Smythe Trophy.

He's also a lot older than Primeau, so Keith has time to establish himself. Nieuwy gets the benefit of the doubt because he's more of a veteran and has led teams to the promised land. Primeau's got a Cup as well, but that was in the early stages of his career when he was considered a malcontent in Detroit (I wouldnt give Nieuwy credit for "leading" Calgary to the 1989 cup either).

Keith's only real edges on Nieuwendyk (clear edges) are his size/physical play and his youth. Other than that, they're either relatively equal or Nieuwendyk could be considered the superior player (goal scoring, veteran experience, faceoffs).

Both guys I would want on my team anyday.