View Single Post
Old
03-22-2008, 09:42 PM
Seth Lake

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Rinne: Maybe, he would have also been highly motivated.
Mason: Not a snowball's chance in hell...
Let me explain my answer a little...

Rinne would have been highly motivated - as Ellis was - to put forth his best effort AND he has the natural athletic ability to make every save that Ellis did have to make in this game, including several post-to-post groin pulling type of saves. Therefore, Pekka might have gotten the same result.

However, Mason would not have the same result because I simply cannot find a reason to believe that he would have been highly motivated. He is angry and frustrated. He is angry because he is not being given a chance to perform, yet he is even more frustrated because he knows that when he was given repeated chances to perform, he has been inconsistent and failed. Chris has a two-year deal signed at $3 million per that starts next season and all NHL contracts are guaranteed, so ultimately, he knows that he will get a shot somewhere (whether it be here or elsewhere) and he has more or less packed it in mentally on the season with the recall of Rinne yesterday. The overwhelming evidence though that he would not have had the same result as Ellis though is that Mason does not have the natural athletic ability to make all of the saves that had to make today. Therefore, it is virtually impossible to imagine any possibility that would have resulted in the same performance out of Mason.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote