View Single Post
Old
05-03-2004, 08:53 PM
Prussian_Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Stankonia
PB,
This is probably something we'll never agree on. As weak as the Blues are on the LW in the system, I still don't think it's a reason to stray from a BPA strategy. I'm still big on Green and I think he'll probably be the best around at the 17 spot...
Don't get me wrong, KOS. If the Blues do end up drafting Green, I won't have problem one with that selection. I'd really like to see them get the best forward they can get, but if Green is truly the best player available when they pick, that's fine.

Let's look at this from another angle, though... suppose a Kyle Chipchura, or an Alexandre Picard, or even a Wojtek Wolski, falls to the Blues. None of those situations is completely out of the realm of possibility. Do you still take Green if one of those guys is available?

And if you'd take one of those players over Green, how much difference is there really between any of those guys and Lukas Kaspar? Or Enver Lisin?

Quote:
A lot of people forget/just don't know that Green has a bit of a nasty streak in him as well, and has a penchant for monstrous hits (including a huge one in the CHL Prospects Game). He's got a deadly shot and is more defensively reliable than his +/- would indicate; he played major minutes and in all situations. Again, he's a 3/4 with a possibility of being a top guy. It's quite likely that by the time his NHL debut rolls around, he's got an extra inch and 20 more pounds at least.
That's all great, and once again... if the Blues draft Green, that's OK with me.

Let's assume the Blues do take Green. What move do you make in the second round? Do you go with a goalie? Do you reach for a LW like Lethbridge's John Lammers (5-11, 182, 21-24-45 in 62 GP), or maybe Mitch Bartley (5-11, 204, 31-28-59 in 72 GP)? Or maybe a right wing?

How about Troy Brouwer of Moose Jaw? 6-02, 216 pounds, played every game for the East Division champion Warriors.

..................... GP .. G ... A ... Pt .. +/- .. PIM .. PP .. SH
Brouwer ... Dec 03 .. 38 .. 18 .. 14 .. 32 .. + 8 ... 51 ... 7 ... 1
Brouwer ... Jan 04 .. 58 .. 19 .. 22 .. 41 .. +11 ... 80 ... 8 ... 1
Brouwer ... Feb 04 .. 67 .. 21 .. 24 .. 45 .. +15 .. 100 ... 8 ... 1
Brouwer .... Final .. 72 .. 23 .. 26 .. 49 .. +15 .. 111 .. 10 ... 1

Quote:
Regarding Dubnyk, he has indeed fallen a bit, but it's not really the stats that I look at when I see him. I look at his size (6'5") and the fact that he's quite agile for his size and covers a lot of net. Granted, the WHL isn't exactly known for it's goaltending superstars, but they've had their share of NHL starters.
As I said in another thread someplace else, Dubnyk would be a good choice for the Blues in goal. But, sight-unseen, and going only by the demonstrated progression and improvement in the stats of Jeff Glass, I'd consider Glass a pretty darn good consolation prize.

Dubnyk is 6-05, 186. Glass is 6-02, 182. I'm pretty sure that a guy 6-02 can cover just about as much of the net as a guy 6-05, and you can't deny that Glass really picked it up in the last three months of the year.

PrussianBlue